Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Beginning of Potty Training?

I tried to potty train Brenna few months ago, but she would not go in the potty. She could complete every step of the process with no assistance whatsoever, but she wouldn't actually GO. I put it on hold figuring we would try again at Christmas when she was out of school for several weeks.

She loves to wear this specific diaper that has Blue (from Blue's Clues) holding a toy airplane. Yesterday, Brenna's eyes suddenly got really big and she said, "UH-OH! I goin' in my airpane!" Then she proceeded to pull down her pants, rip of her diaper and declare, "See! It's all wet."

The closest thing was a pull-up, so I put her in a dry pull-up. There was absolutely no thought process to this action at all. It was most convenient.

About an hour later Brenna screamed, "I have to go tee-tee in the potty." She ran to the bathroom, climbed up on the stool, pulled down her pants and what do you know? She did it! WOO-HOO!!! Potty dance! I gave her a sucker for a reward. We sang the "You went tee-tee on the potty," celebration song.

About 45 minutes later, she did it all again. I put her in panties at that point just to see how she would do. Lo and behold, she stayed dry all morning. I put her in a pull-up for nap, but she did not want to sleep in it. When she woke up, I put her back in her panties. She didn't do quite so well. She had two accidents, but each time she stopped herself and finished in the potty.

This morning Scott tried to put her in panties for school, but she flat-out refused. She did however, go in the potty three times at school today. She had two accidents, and finished in the potty.

She's in panties at home again this afternoon. I'm cautiously optimistic. We might be saying good-bye, adios, ta-ta to diapers. That will mean that sippie cups are the last vestige of babyhood in my house. YEE HAW!

2 comments:

Homan House said...

yea Brenna!

KenziKat said...

Whoo hooo, Brenna!! What a big girl :) We are only in pull-ups at night, and for Kenzie that may not be for long ... she's been dry in the morning almost every day. Katie is a different story {sigh}. I keep looking at those sippy cups, thinking ... should I toss them and insist on regular cups??? Soon, I always reply to myself, soon!